Before you check your Microsoft Word documents with Acrolinx, make sure you read the specific information on Acrolinx for Word on Windows.
What You Can Check
Acrolinx for Office on Windows - Word works best if you use it in the normal writing mode. In protected documents, Acrolinx checks your content but since you can't make any changes in the document, Acrolinx can't either.
Supported file types:
|Microsoft Word||*.doc, *.docx, *.docm|
What Acrolinx Includes in Your Check
Sometimes, Acrolinx checks part of your content but can't highlight the issue or automatically insert suggestions. If you see a padlockin the Sidebar card, you can edit the issue directly in the text.
This might happen for issues in:
- Headers and footers
- Footnotes and endnotes
- SmartArt graphics
- Field codes in SmartArt graphics
If you're using field codes for dynamic content, Acrolinx highlights and replaces the content but as soon as you update your field, Word overwrites the suggestion. Acrolinx can't highlight and replace issues for field codes in your Word document when the field codes are in some elements including:
- Headers and footers
"Track Changes" works more consistently with Microsoft Office versions 2013 and 2016.
You or your Acrolinx administrator can extend what Acrolinx includes in your check by configuring Content Profiles.
Find Acrolinx in Office - Word
To show the Sidebar, click the Acrolinx iconin the Review ribbon in the Menu.
What Kind of Guidance Do You Have?
The Sidebar will look a little different depending on if you have Targets enabled or if you're using a Guidance Profile to check your content.
Not sure if you have Targets enabled? Don't worry, there are two ways to find out.
- In the Options tab of the Sidebar, you can see if a Target or a Guidance Profile is selected.
- Open the Scorecard and search for Checking Information. If it's not there, you're checking with Targets.
With that in mind, read this article on how to check your content.
Check Your Content with Targets
To check your content, click the CHECK button in the first tab at the top of the Sidebar. Unless your content is flawless, you'll probably see issues show up. The Sidebar shows content issues with interactive colored cards. We provide a more in-depth explanation of how to work with issue cards in the article The Sidebar Card Guide.
You can decide which cards get displayed. You might also want to filter the goals so that you can focus on a certain goal such as Correctness.
For example, filter out Tone to stay focused on the other goals.
- Acrolinx gives you a Scorecard that scores your content based on the goals that you're checking for. You also get an overall Acrolinx Score. To view your Scorecard, click on your Acrolinx Score at the top right of the Sidebar or click Scorecard in the slide-out menu.
Check Your Content with Guidance Profiles
To check your content, click the CHECK button in the first tab the top of the Sidebar. Unless your content is flawless, you'll probably see issues show up. The Sidebar shows content issues with interactive colored cards. We provide a more in-depth explanation of how to work with issues in the article The Sidebar Card Guide.
You can filter the list of issue types so you can focus on a certain issue type such as spelling.
- Acrolinx gives you a Scorecard that scores your content based on the types of issues that you're checking for. You also get an overall Acrolinx Score. To see your Scorecard, click on your Acrolinx Score at the top right of the Sidebar or click Scorecard in the slide-out menu.
Check Only a Part of Your Content
You can also check a selection of your content. You'll only see the issues for your selection.
Check Selection offers a smaller set of guidance and doesn't include:
- Acrolinx Score
- Tone and voice guidelines
- Discovered Terms
- Metrics and Analysis cards
To check a selection, follow these steps:
Select the content you'd like to check.
The results you see for a selection might differ between Integrations. For example, if you select a single word or phrase in some Integrations, Acrolinx might expand your selection and check the entire sentence.
- Click CHECK SELECTION in your Sidebar. You can find it in the drop-down menu next to the CHECK button.
- Voila! The Sidebar will only show you cards for the content you've selected.
With check selection you can check smaller sections of your content such as Shapes, SmartArt, or Footnotes.
To check a paragraph, you don't need to select the whole text, just click within the paragraph or highlight a few words. If you want to check text in a table, you can highlight the whole table or select single cells.