Creating Users in the Dashboard
An administrator can create a user through the Dashboard. If you've configured external authentication, you can’t create users or edit user passwords in the Dashboard. Create users in your directory service instead.
To create a user in the Dashboard, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Users page.
- Perform one of the following steps:
- Click Add User or
- Type the first few letters of the username in the Search or create field.
A list of matching users appears in the autocomplete dropdown.
If the user doesn’t already exist, select the list item Create user with name '<USER_NAME>'.
- You’re prompted to enter the username, full name, password, and roles.
A username should be a unique identifier of each user within the organization. For example, users can use their e-mail addresses or personnel numbers.
- (Optional) By default, the Dashboard generates a password required for access to the server via the Dashboard and the integrations. You can change this password or remove it by deselecting the Password required option.
If you assign a user a role with the privilege to sign in to the Dashboard, you must set an initial user password.
Select one of the User license type options.The User license type radio buttons are only visible if you’ve installed a license that is configured with both named and concurrent user limits.
- Select the relevant check boxes in the Roles section to assign one or more roles to the user.
- Click the Save button.
- The saved settings take effect immediately.
If you can't use federation to create your users and you have too many users to create manually, then you can allow Acrolinx to register users from Acrolinx Integrations.
When users run the first check, they’re prompted to enter their username. The integration then registers the user with Acrolinx and the user is automatically created and assigned the default role.
This option is turned off by default. You can turn it on using a coreserver property.
We strongly recommend that you don't allow automatic user registration unless you are running Acrolinx in a secure environment.
If you allow automatic user registration on an Acrolinx Private Cloud instance, you open up Acrolinx to everybody and make your system vulnerable.
To allow automatic user registration from Acrolinx Integrations, follow these steps:
- Open the
coreserver.propertiesfrom the Dashboard, go to Maintenance > Configuration Properties, then follow the folder structure config > server > bin and click on the file
coreserver.properties. You can then edit the properties directly from the Dashboard.
Alternatively, you can edit
coreserver.propertiesfrom the configuration directory:
Add the following property:
- Save your changes and restart the core server.
The Search or Create field always appears at the top of the Users page and lets you find or create users using the same field.
The autocomplete behavior of the Search or Create field helps you to avoid creating duplicate users, by suggesting a list of similar usernames when you enter a new user.
To find users with the Search or Create field, follow these steps:
- Enter your search text in the search field.
You can use the wildcard character '*' or '%' multiple times, in any part of your search text.To clear the search box, press the ESC key. To force the autocomplete dropdown to appear, press the down arrow on your keyboard.
- When you start typing characters in the search field, the dropdown suggests matching usernames as well one or more actions displayed in italics.
The action Match Pattern '<SEARCH_TEXT>' appears if you’ve included a wildcard in your search, and displays a list of usernames that match your search pattern.A clear pattern buttonappears beside the Search or Create field after you select the Match Pattern option. Use this button to reset the search results after you’ve performed a wildcard search.
- Click a matching username in the autocomplete dropdown to open the user details page.
To delete a user, follow this step:
- Click the checkbox in front of the Username, and then click Delete.
You can’t delete the built-in users.
If you notice that a deleted username has reappeared, the user might have run another check after you deleted their username.
When a deleted user runs a check while automatic user registration is enabled, the user is automatically recreated based on registration information that is saved on the client computer. To prevent this issue from occurring, disable automatic user registration.