My Browser Extension Stopped Working Properly After Updating

We offer a number of browser extensions: Acrolinx for Firefox, Acrolinx for Chrome, Acrolinx for Safari, and Acrolinx for Microsoft Edge.

If they start behaving strangely after an update, take a look through the symptoms below for some known issues and fixes.


 My Sidebar shows the error "Acrolinx Isn't Licensed for This Product" after updating to version 1.2.

You might see this issue after you update your browser extension to version 1.2. To fix this, you need to:

  • Update your license. Ask Acrolinx Support to give you a new license.
  • Update any Content Profiles that you created based on the default browser Content Profile. See the section below "I'm getting a lot of HTML in my Sidebar guidance" for details on how to update your Content Profiles.

The reason this issue might come up is because we changed the signature for browser extensions. All browser extensions used to use the same signature to identify themselves to the Acrolinx Platform. With version 1.2, we introduced unique signatures for each browser extension. If your license still contains the old signature, the Core Platform won't recognize the browser extensions in your license anymore.

 I'm getting a lot of HTML in my Sidebar cards after updating to version 1.2.

If you notice a lot of HTML in your Sidebar cards, it probably means there's something wrong with a Content Profile. If you recently updated your browser extension to version 1.2, you'll need to update any Content Profiles that you created based on the default browser Content Profile. This means any Content Profile that you created by copying the default Content Profile called Browser.

The reason for this is that we changed the signature for browser extensions. All browser extensions used to use the same signature to identify themselves to the Acrolinx Platform. With version 1.2, we introduced unique signatures for each browser extension. The default browser Content Profile used the old signature to identify the browser extensions. This means any Content Profiles that used the old browser extensions signature now need a new way to identify the browser extensions.

To update a Content Profile that uses the old browser extensions signature:

  1. In the Dashboard, go to Guidance Settings > Content Profiles
  2. Find the Content Profile that you created by copying the default browser Content Profile. Click on it to open it.
  3. Go to the CRITERIA tab.
  4. Click Advanced.
  5. If you see any information in the Integration field, you'll need to update this Content Profile.
  6. Remove any information in the Integration field, and leave it blank.
  7. Fill in the fields Public ID, System ID, and Root Element to identify your content.