Before you start the term import wizard, you might want to familiarize yourself with the following topics in the Supported Terminology Exchange Formats article:
- The ACTIF format
- OLIF and custom XML-based formats
- CSV formats
- Customizing your Data Model
To open the term import wizard:
In the Navigation Menu, click Terminology > Import and Export > Import.
Prepare Images for Import
If you have images that you want to display in your term entry details, you must include links to your image files when preparing your terminology data for import. You can link to image files that you’ve copied to your Acrolinx configuration directory, or images that are hosted on a web server.
To prepare your images for import, follow these steps:
- Ensure that your images are stored in a location that is accessible to the Acrolinx Server. Choose from one of the following options:
Copy your image files to the uploaded images directory in the Acrolinx Server configuration directory.
- Copy your image files to a web server that all users can access.
- Ensure that your import file references the images correctly.
If you copied your images to the uploaded images directory, your import file should contain the only image name as illustrated in the following example:
Term Status Image fan tray preferred fan_tray.jpg
The Terminology Manager resolves the image location relative uploaded images directory.
If you store your images on a web server, the import file must include the full image URLs as illustrated in the following example.
Term Status Image fan tray preferred
- Start the term import wizard.
Set the Import Options
Use the Import Options page to perform the following actions:
- Choose a file format
- Adjust advanced settings specific to the file format you have chosen
- Select a file for import
Select a saved import configuration. If you want to start an import with the same settings as a previous import and have saved those settings in an import configuration, you can skip the following procedure. Instead, select your saved configuration in the Saved Import Configurations table, choose your import file and click Next.Restriction: You can’t use saved import configurations if you regularly import terms from CSV files and the following condition applies to your terms: Your terms are assigned to several values of the same custom list field at the same time and the assignments are separated by a semicolon or a colon. For example, your CSV file might contain the term "example", which is assigned to the custom list values "1;2;3" of the custom list field "Priority". If this condition applies, you must manually perform the import procedure and field mapping.
To set the import options, follow these steps:
- In the File Options section, choose the file format:
- ACTIF to import a file in the native Acrolinx terminology exchange format.
- Custom to import any XML-based format used by other terminology management solutions.
- CSV to import a delimited text or CSV file.
- CSV (Translations only) to import a CSV file which contains new translations for source terms that already exist in the terminology database.
- OLIF to import an OLIF file.
- (Follow this step if you selected the Custom format option) Select a Transformation option from the Transformation dropdown in the Format-specific Options.
- (Follow this step if you selected the Custom format option) Select the domain list delimiter in the Format-specific Options if you import terms with multiple domains.
(Follow this step if you selected the CSV format option) Open the Format-specific Options to configure the advanced CSV options.The default value delimiter for CSV files is a comma. In most cases, you don’t have to change the advanced CSV options. The default CSV options are sufficient to import most CSV files. Check the advanced CSV options if your CSV file is tab delimited, or contains special characters or metadata.
- Locate the import file using the Browse button.
- Click Next to move to the Field Mapping Page
Learn more about the next step in Mapping Source Data.