What is the Term Browser?
The Term Browser is a companion to the Acrolinx Terminology Manager. It serves as a reference tool for anyone in your organization who needs quick access to information in the terminology database.
You can use the Term Browser to perform the following actions:
- Search for a term using the same search tools that come with the Acrolinx Terminology Manager.
- Access a term help page which displays reference information about the term.
- Share links to term information with other users in your organization.
Selecting a Term Browser View
The Term Browser user interface is available in two kinds of views:
This view provides the same search and filter tools that are visible in the Terminology Manager. The standard view is suitable for users who want filter for terms on a wide range of filter criteria.
Standard Term Browser View
This view provides a simplified set of search tools intended for users who need to quickly locate translations and do not need to use the full set of filter criteria.
Translation Term Browser View
To open the Term Browser in standard view:
- Open the following URL in a web browser:
To open the Term Browser in translation view:
- Open the following URL in a web browser:
<SERVER_ADDRESS> is the IP address or host name of your Acrolinx core platform. Ask your Acrolinx Administrator if you are unsure of the server address.
How the Term Search Works
While the term search generally works very intuitively, it might be important to know about some of the fundamental concepts.
When you start searching for a term, all characters are treated as wildcard searches by default. For example, if you start typing and enter the character
a, the autocomplete dropdown lists words containing "a". If you continue typing and tighten the search term to
ac, the autocomplete dropdown lists words containing "ac".
When your terms contain quotation marks, you must escape these characters. This is necessary because the search works similar to a standard search in any search engine. Entering quotation marks does not search for the quotation marks, but marks a search query as a search for an exact word or phrase. For example, the database might contain the term Database
"Acrolinx Documents". If you search for the exact spelling of the term, the search won't find the term. Instead, you must escape the quotation marks and use the following search query with escaped characters:
Database \"Acrolinx Documents\"
About the Search Results Table
When you search for terms in the Terminology Manager or the Term Browser, the results appear in the search results table.
Use the following list as reference for information about how the search results table works:
- Acrolinx uses an infinite scrolling list instead of pagination to display long lists of terms. The page automatically loads more items when you get close to the bottom of the page. To aid navigation, the table header is always displayed on top of the page when you scroll down. Infinite scrolling makes it easier to work with long lists which are common when working with terminology.
- You can group terms by term entry to see all terms that belong together. If you click Group by term entry, Acrolinx groups all synonyms and translations and displays them in separate sections of the search results table. This feature is especially useful if your terms usually have many synonyms and translations.
Contributing a New Term
You can propose new terms for the terminology database of your organization while you are using the Term Browser. To do so, click the Contribute Term menu item in the top right of the Term Browser window. You will be directed to the term contribution page where you can submit your term contribution.
Important: To use the term contribution feature you need the appropriate user privileges.
Adding Additional Comments
To add comments to existing terms, the following requirements must be met:
- You must have the privilege Add comments to existing terms.
- Your administrator must update your term help template to support comments.
To add an additional comment to an existing term, follow these steps:
- Open the Acrolinx Term Browser.
- Search for the term you want to edit.
- Open the term help and click Add Comment.
- (Follow this step if you are not already logged into the Add Comment page) Log on using your User ID and Password.
- Enter your comment in the text box which appears.
(Optional) Select Request review so that your terminologist can easily find your new comment.
The Request review option is available as long as the Terminology Manager is configured correctly. If the Request review option is not available, your terminologist needs to configure the Process Status field to include the status review requested.
- Click Submit.
Printing the List of Filtered Terms
You might print the list of the terms in the search results table if you want to distribute the terms to users without network access. The print function is available in both the standard and the translation views.
To print the list of displayed terms, follow these steps:
- Apply a filter or enter a keyword search to view a list of terms.
- Click Print in the search and filter bar.
The Term Browser prints all displayed terms. You find the number of displayed terms in the table header of the search results table.
Changing the Interface Language
To change the interface language in the Term Browser, follow these steps:
- Click the Change Language menu item in the top right of the Term Browser window.
- Select your desired language from the dropdown.
- Click OK. The changes take effect immediately.